Dear Sanity!
Recently the Twitch Gaming community lost another gaming
streamer due to death. He was only 35, a father a husband; and now he’s gone.
His name was Poshybrid (link down below), and though I don’t know him I know of
the struggles of streaming. I started streaming while I was unemployed back in
2013. I was a mod for two large partnered streamers; they have and
do still 24+ hour streams.
Yes, I’ve worried about them. Their families are
involved to constantly watch them, coming in to see
how they are. Yes, I
believe that 24+ hour streams are hard on the body but that is up to the
streamer. Streamer always makes a choice on their stream cause well it’s their
stream. I know I can’t do 24 hours, nor would I ever have the time to do one.
As Joe Marino aka Geekdomo wrote in his piece “Dying to
Stream” (link will be down below); he ran through his day and what had happened
to him and his health. He saw what was going on and acted to change it. The struggle
to perform and how to keep up with everything to be a successful streamer.
The gaming community, by many but not by all, believe it’s a
competition and that you must get more views/followers/subs than the other guy.
Many have warred against each other, trolled, swatted and done such horrible
things that many of us would just stream as little as possible so that we weren’t
growing. We didn’t put our family, friends and others at risk.
I worked with streamers to help grow their numbers, to help
them beat the other guys. Coming up with give-a-ways, tricks and such to get
higher and higher on top. They had to get this sponsorship or they must tweet
out daily to get the attention of another product they want to be sponsored by.
It’s a grueling almost 24-hour job. There is no off switch, it’s on without
little down time aka bathroom time.
I work a full-time job, volunteered my time while at work
then when I got home I’d stream until I had to work for the other streamer. I didn’t
ask for anything in return and I willingly helped others. The toxicity was
growing on me and it wasn’t any one’s fault by my own. I should be responsible
for how I reacted to things. I started to search on Twitch for something positive to help me through this growing depression. That is where I found Imperial Grrl, now fast forward.
It was in November of 2016, I was watching Imperial Grrl (link
will be below) and she was making a product for a guy named Tock Custom. Tock
was celebrating his 1 year twitch anniversary and he was giving things away for
his anniversary. You didn’t have to sub, only had to follow. He has at least 20
artists from Twitch creative donate time and a product to his /*3*/ day
giveaway. Yes, you read it right. This giveaway lasted THREE Streams, starting
from 8 a.m. then taking an hour break for lunch and coming back wrapping up
until 4 p.m.
I was amazed at the positive vibes, the good people and the
well wishes and others that were sharing. I met so many people in those three
days that my follow list went from 15 people who gamed to over 150 and it’s
still growing. It encouraged me to try not to game stream but to paracord and
stream. Yes, I make things out of paracord. I started to do that in December of
last year and the doors opened for me. I am a part of a stream team now
(building the web site for stream team now for 300+ members). I have grown from
150 followers to now 321 and still growing today. I’m thankful for every single
follower, every view and for me lurkers make Twitch. So, if there are lurkers it’s
great to have them in the channel.
Pro Tip:
In creative we don’t call out the lurkers is bad form.
The twitch creative community has such a welcoming and
vibrant culture. We’re here to support each other, it’s ok to talk about being
a streamer in chat. You talk about what you’re working on and what you’re
doing. You involve yourself in the community as well as not only support the community
but in turn supports the streamer. It helps not only to grow the channel but it
helps to bridge my community with others. This way the community grows not just
by a one channel at a time but it becomes more of a global community supporting
all the streamers within it.
How did it save me? One big word: POSITIVITY. You could be
having a crappy shitty day and with one greeting or one massive host. It turns
into a massive awesome day! I’ve not only seen it happen, maybe been a part of
raids, and I’ve had it done to me. It’s turn my depressive end of the year into
something that was so fucking magical I can’t even begin to explain it. It’s
something you should be a part of.
The winter is the worst point of the year for me to the point
where I shut down totally socially. I hate it, 2016 was completely different.
From watching Tock, Imperialgrrl, FierceKittenz, Ignaceu, Rabbitman109,
DryadTea, Kayosgirl, PharEwings, Lilbluebox and many many more streamers; they
helped me pull myself out of my depression.
Pro Tip: Creative streamers do promote others in chat, encourage other creative streamers to talk about their streams and even do group shout out.
(I.E. LilBlueBox will ask for people to put a 1 in chat to show they are as stream and the follow train starts.)
I would love to find a bridge between gaming and creative.
PokeYourEyesOutGames (link below) not only plays games but they create; they
created GCGG (good community, good games). This is their motto and it’s a very
good one. They say that in helping people with whatever they need they are
helping someone grown within all of Twitch. Gaming or creative a like an ideal I embrace.
Not only can we grow Twitch but we can help each other.
Gamers game, providing content and viewers; as they learn about creative side.
The creative can create swag and things for Gamers, there for creating and
helping gaming with their brands and swag for their viewers. As they get
together this helps with sharing viewers. Sharing viewers isn’t taking away
from the gaming community, but it’s to help them.
Viewers grow and help other viewers find more streamers
again the idea of GLOBAL community. In the positivity of the creative helping
to spread that to the gaming community. This way not only does the gamers get
some great swag, but they help the creative community to grow. The creative
community will grow with more inspiration and more ideas to make awesome things.
If we can do this, maybe the 24-hour streams will slowly die
down. Gaming streamers will be gaining viewers from creative and better help
them with networking, sponsors and show that this isn’t a doggy dog world of
who can climb to the top. It’s more of a large canvas where we all make a mark
and make Twitch a much better, happier and healthier place. One can only hope
one day and action at a time.
Well work is calling, talk to you later Sanity.
Best Wishes,
Junie
Links
Poshybrid article (https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/02/twitch-streamer-dies-during-24-hour-marathon-stream/)
Joe Marino aka Geekdomo’s article (https://medium.com/@Geekdomo/dying-to-stream-ff0ed2e3dfbb#.qx8d3mb4z)
Joe Marino aka Geekdomo’s article (https://medium.com/@Geekdomo/dying-to-stream-ff0ed2e3dfbb#.qx8d3mb4z)
Streamers
Fiercekittenz’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/fiercekittenz)
Imperialgrrl’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/imperialgrrl)
Tock Custom’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/tockcustom)
PokeYourEyesOutGames (https://www.twitch.tv/pokeyoureyesoutgames)
Kayosgirl’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/kayosgirl)
PharEwings stream (https://www.twitch.tv/pharewings)
DryadTea’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/dryadtea)
LilblueBox’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/lilblueboxox)
Imperialgrrl’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/imperialgrrl)
Tock Custom’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/tockcustom)
PokeYourEyesOutGames (https://www.twitch.tv/pokeyoureyesoutgames)
Kayosgirl’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/kayosgirl)
PharEwings stream (https://www.twitch.tv/pharewings)
DryadTea’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/dryadtea)
LilblueBox’s stream (https://www.twitch.tv/lilblueboxox)
No comments:
Post a Comment