Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Season Blues

                It’s that time of year again where everyone is in the ‘Its Christmas’ time and there is hardly a happy soul to be found in the stores. ‘It’s mine!” or “I HAD IT FIRST!!!” is cried out in the stores while I try to get presents under 20 dollars for the family. I know it’s not the gift but the thought that counts.

                Sure people will tell you that after being unemployed for two years; a single mom working two jobs, going to school and having a teenager for a child. YAY. I know that I can’t impress people with the gifts; nor with my non-expert cooking skills. It’s more of the wishing that I didn’t have to worry about balancing out what I can afford with the bills and how am I going to pay for books next semester.

                As I work my book store job; its rather easy and simple. Actually it’s a farkin’ god send to help me get away from the crazy that is my first job. My first job is at a café/bakery that happens to be quite popular. It’s there I question humanity in all its forms and ways.

                Many customers are nice and polite leaving and even cleaning up their messes. It’s the moms with kids and the play dates this time of year that leaving your schite all over the table for me to clean isn’t cool. Why? Well first off let me kill off that assumption that I’m getting paid to clean up that schite all over the table. Nope! Not a penny is spent for that. I’m not getting a thrill out of ‘customer service’ while getting some kid’s mac and Cheese off of the table that a mom happily smeared on there because the tray wasn’t good enough for their little Johnny. Ah, you do realize there are more bacteria on the table than on the tray right? Oh and we DO mind that we have to spend extra time cleaning that off because now I can’t handle the four or five other tables that need attention too. Thanks!

                Rearranging the tables for large groups when the large group table is empty; ah seriously what the fudge?! This isn’t your home, this isn’t your space and I have to move crap around so other customers can get around the tables you set up because you’ve created a fire hazard. Gratz. Thank you for making my job a bit harder than what it already is to ensure you can leave the place ok if a fire stars. And if anyone thinks washing dishes is easy; you’ve never washed dishes for a restaurant before. It’s a bitch and a half … really!
                To the overly bitchy woman that wants to put her coffee together at the coffee bar and can’t because our canters are too close to the edge; please put it together at your table. Nothing says like ‘I do not want to serve you’ more than you throwing your sugar packets at me and saying you’ll make your coffee at the register counter while making a huge mess and I have to spend about 20 to 30 minutes cleaning it up because –you- felt inconvenienced. It wasn’t my idea to put it there; please talk to management.

                To the creepy guys that complain about everything if it’s not to their standard of perfect and the watch you while you’re working on the dining room. You do not sign my paycheck and my manger is watching me as well. You don’t have to tell me every fudging spot I missed on the tables; then complain to the manager that you think you caught something by my poor cleaning habits. I’m not a maid nor under your micro-management.  Please go back to your job and keep your miserable life to yourself; I was perfectly happy before you had to say something. Oh and yes, I brewed more ice tea when I saw you walking in the door. I know, you can’t live without it and you’ll have a heart attack again if there isn’t any for you when you have your lunch. I don’t want you going all pale again while you’re yelling at me.

                To the overly annoyed customers that can’t handle babies crying, toddlers running around not supervised, little children throwing tantrums and the general existence of children; please don’t come here. Really! Most parents today are not your parents nor do they have the ideals you do. Whether or not I agree doesn’t matter; the children will be children. Parents will parent the way they think is correct. It’s a fudging family place to be so if you don’t like it; you know where the door is.

                I do like the holidays, and well the place I work at is a job that pays bills. Looking for another one right now is right out; it’s all seasonal and after the season is ended those jobs are dropped. So I’m kind of stuck where I am right now. I can’t complain, I have a job it pays and I have some money. The café/bakery has a great crew that helps the time go by fast and though it’s a work out I try to make the best of every day. Sure this sounds all bad and blah but really Mike, you can’t keep things bottled up inside. Got to let it out and just take a deep breath and go ahhhhhh; great next encounter.

                So what’s your holiday going to be like? I hope fun and festive. I’m hoping that this Xmas is at least relaxing after classes are done and I can just veg a bit. Well have a great night and write to you later.

Ho Ho Ho

Junie

No comments:

Post a Comment